09 September 2011

Return of the Blog

To all those who have been so patiently waiting: thank you for coming back. As you can see, another tutorial has been posted, and more are on their way. I've not yet finished my dissertation, but I'm making substantial progress, and in a few months I'll finally be a free man!

In the mean time, as I'm coming back to this blog, I've decided it's in desperate need of an interface overhaul. So I'm posing a question to my readers: what would you like to see in the interface? How would you like to have the tutorials presented so as to make them more accessible?

I will likely go back through the past tutorials and clean things up, clarify specifics, and generally improve the quality of information in them as well as bring back some consistency in style and presentation. What else can I do to help this community effectively?

7 comments:

gordon said...

I think the presentation is quite good as is. Nice, clean, no distractions, and if I choose "no page style" (so as to make the sidebar not to waste a good quarter of my screen real estate) the result is a perfectly accessible page. You simply can't do any better than that.

I would not change a thing.

Jon said...

I would love to see a tutorial that explains the flash memory register. It would be nice to see how to store data on a scientific instrument and then transfer that data back to a computer. For example a program that grabbed the temperature every minute for an hour. Once the data was captured you could hook the launchpad back up to the computer and import the data for graphing etc.

Take care,

Jon

Jon said...

Sorry for the double post. I just thought it would be cool if you could add an SD MMC card slot to the project I recommended above. Sparkfun has a cool breakout board at a good price. http://www.sparkfun.com/products/204 There are cheaper options but the would require soldering. Keep up the great work.

Take care,

Jon

Unknown said...

Jon,

Those are excellent suggestions. Using flash is a topic coming up soon. I'd like to do SPI and I2C communication as well, and EEPROM is a convenient device to use as it's readily available to everyone. (You may even be able to get samples at no cost from Microchip.) I'll have to look into SD cards..

Jon said...

Sounds good! I can't wait to see the flash tutorial. I hope you'll explain how to pull the info back to a PC from the MCU flash.

Take care,

Jon

Jon said...

Publication SLAA281B has a good explanation of the Flash/MSP430 interface using SPI.

Take care,

Jon

Unknown said...

Thanks! I hope I can get around to it soon... I'll definitely get something written up about it eventually, but first I'll have to figure out how to do it. =)